A three-year-old boy underwent a life-saving surgery after he swallowed a nail, which was described as a “very risky” procedure

A 3-year-old boy in Cuba had to undergo life-saving emergency surgery after accidentally swallowing a large nail.

“This is a very risky procedure,” said Dr. Mavil Isabel Benítez Fernández, an ear, nose and throat specialist who presided over the operation in the Octavio de la Concepción y de la Pedraja pediatric hospital in Holguin, local outlet Ahora reported.

According to Jam Press, the incident came to light when the child’s mother noticed he was complaining of a sore throat. She took him to a nearby clinic where an X-ray revealed a foreign object stuck in his left lung, causing great concern.

The worried mother then took her son to a pediatric hospital where doctors removed the object from his respiratory system.

According to Jam Press, the case came to light when the three-year-old complained of a sore throat to his mother. She took him to a local clinic, where X-rays showed a foreign object in his left lung.

The concerned parent then took him to a pediatric hospital, where a team of specialists had prepared the operating room in advance. The procedure, called an exploratory bronchoscopy, involved threading a rigid bronchoscope through the larynx, trachea, and into the lung to remove the nail.

As explained by Fernández, mishandling the procedure could lead to severe complications, including bleeding, cardiorespiratory arrest, or even death. However, the surgery was successful, and the child was transferred to the ICU in stable condition.

In a similar incident last month, doctors found a screw in the lung of a 70-year-old woman who had inhaled it after dental treatment a year ago.

The woman had been experiencing unexplained respiratory infections before the discovery.

Recorded with a bronchoscope, a flexible tube equipped with a camera, the accompanying video showed the screw embedded in her respiratory tissue, resembling a component missing from a cyborg.

The woman, whose name was not disclosed, reportedly ingested the metal during a series of dental procedures that took place almost a year ago, according to the case study.

She visited the Vithas Vigo hospital in Pontevedra, Spain, where a chest X-ray reportedly revealed the source of her discomfort: A 9-millimeter metal screw lodged in her lung.

Initially, the woman received two bone implants and healing caps, followed by the final implant two months later. Sadly, the elderly patient had no memory of inhaling the surgical screw, which had reportedly been lodged in her respiratory system for at least eight months.

Using forceps, the doctors were able to extract the foreign object from her body in just a few hours. Afterward, the woman was discharged and appeared to be recovering well, according to Jam Press.

This is not the first time that someone has found an object lodged in their lungs. In September, a man who was fond of piercings and had lost his nose ring was horrified to learn that it had been inside his lung for five years.